Not Dead, Only Sleeping

August 3, 2013

Posted by happygaiwan

The title of this post is inspired by the inscription on a headstone in the local cemetery, said cemetery being one of the nicer places to walk in my fair city. The headstone simply reads, after the name and dates of birth and death, “Asleep”. Whether or not you believe in the Rapture, I imagine it would be mighty unpleasant to wake up from a nice rest inside a coffin under the dirt.

Why the weird, morbid anecdote? Because for all intents and purposes I think some of you probably thought I had passed on…no, not literally, just from TeaTrade! Or even Twitter, another social media universe I have been neglecting.

Like my previous absences, this one is due to a combination of factors:

1) Boredom with tea blogging: I’ve never felt confident as a tea blogger; my knowledge base is too narrow, my review skills are sub-par, and I just feel like I’ve run out of things to say about tea. I could turn my blog into more a of public diary, but then what would be the point of having it on TEATrade, a website about…tea?

2) My own personality: Let’s face it, I can be a pretty big ass sometimes. And while we all “love” @TheDevotea and his grouchy rants, I feel like TeaTrade doesn’t need two cantankerous weirdos, even if those weirdos are separated by about seven decades in age. So I’m going to work on softening my persona a little bit before coming back for good.

3) Other projects on the go: Simply put, I have less time than I used to. I have a job (not the pet store one, a new one) that requires a lot of attention, plus I’m preparing for a big move at the end of August to Prince Edward Island. So I’ve been getting things sorted out and trying to decide how much of my life (ie, material possessions…isn’t a consumer society great?) I can fit into two suitcases, planning flights, trying to find a job out there, etc. I’ve also been planning out creative endeavors. I’ve always wanted to practice an art, even if I’m not good at it, on the advice of the writer Kurt Vonnegut. I’ve been thinking of getting into papermaking, and, eventually, ceramics. It would be a great thrill to make my own teaware. That’s going to have to wait, though, but I’ll be sure to blog about it when I get started.

So that’s that. I’ve still be drinking tea, of course, though I only have time for extended sessions on weekends, so my input has mostly been limited to a workhorse Darjeeling on weekday mornings and Korean greens and balhyocha on weekends, the latter being exquisite, the former, enjoyable enough on the go (how’s THAT for a review?).

So I’ll be back, hopefully with more to say and show, in the near future. I’ll still be checking the site, to see what y’all have been up to and what teas you’ve been drinking and all that.

Still sleeping, still dreaming, awaking soon,

-Happy G

13 Responses to “Not Dead, Only Sleeping”

1. Avatar of teaformepleaseteaformeplease said:

I’m glad to hear that you haven’t “passed on”. Truth be told, all tea bloggers feel some level of insecurity. Your readers learn with you. I think that’s one of the best parts about it. Good luck with your move and all of these exciting changes!

2. Avatar of xavierxavier said:

This review was really interesting. Now if I need an on the go tea, I know where to look.

And glad to know you are still there.

3. Avatar of thedevoteathedevotea said:

I see your problems : not enough talent, a massive inability with mathematics and your impending removal to Prince Edward Island, which I assume is some sort of penal colony.
    And yes, when it comes to cantankerous weirdo, Tea Trade is much better off with quality than quantity.
    However, the post did make me look up balhyocha, and I read an article on it, and came to the conclusion that hardly anyone is sure what it is. Even people who make it and sell it. Perfect for you.

4. Avatar of happygaiwanhappygaiwan said:

@thedevotea My spam filter keeps blocking your comments, Robert, maybe it knows better than I do?

5. Avatar of thedevoteathedevotea said:

Even my own spam filter blocks me. I think I have it scared.

6. Avatar of jackiejackie said:

To cut a long comment short, keep blogging. Don’t leave. Don’t worry about @thedevotea. He’s not trying to chase you out. He likes being the king of course, but hey, you can be the crown prince.
    I keep on saying, you don’t have to blog about tea in every post. We just like knowing what a fellow tea lover is up to. We know you blog about tea, but we don’t need to read nothing but tea leaf scribbles all the time.
    I like the the “anecdotal” updates.
    Good luck with all the upcoming changes. Most importantly, keep telling us about them on here.
    J.

7. Avatar of xavierxavier said:

@jackie since when is @thedevotea the king?

And @happygaiwan don’t worry if you write a tea article every two-three-four articles.
    As @jackie said it, you are and will always be welcomed here and we would love to read about what you do, what you think, what you see…

8. Avatar of thedevoteathedevotea said:

“Crown Prince”? Clown Prince is more accurate

9. Avatar of lazyliteratuslazyliteratus said:

I, for one, loved your reviewing style. And I’m hard-pressed to believe you have NOTHING to write about in regards to tea. But I can understand being burnt out on it. I usually took gaps of time off if I had no drive for it. Glad to have you back in any capacity.

10. Avatar of gingkosetogingkoseto said:

Always enjoy your posts!
    And now I know if there is an ID I’m not familiar with saying funny things on twitter, it must be you! haha~